MANILA, The Philippines will block foreign travelers from six more countries starting Friday following the detection of the new and more infectious coronavirus variant in these places, presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said on Wednesday.
Foreign travelers from Portugal, India, Finland, Norway, Jordan, and Brazil and who have been in any of these countries within 14 days before arrival in the Philippines are prohibited to enter the Southeast Asian country from Jan. 8 to 15, Roque said.
Filipinos coming from or who have been to the six countries within 14 days immediately preceding arrival in the Philippines, including those arriving after Friday, will be allowed to enter the Philippines.
However, Roque said these Filipinos need to complete a 14-day quarantine period, even if the coronavirus test shows negative results.
The government first suspended all flights from Britain beginning Dec. 24 2020. The ban later included 20 other countries and regions.
All foreign nationals flying from or having been to these 21 areas are not permitted to enter the Philippines until Jan. 15.
The new variant first found in Britain has not been detected in the Philippines so far, the Department of Health said on Wednesday.
The Philippines now has 480,737 confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 9,347 deaths.
Source: China – ASEAN Business Council